Saturday, July 30, 2011

New Blog

Over the quieter days of the summer I have been planning for the year ahead in the ministry of Norval Presbyterian, and I've decided that I want to add some other ways of communicating with the members, adherents and friends of our congregation. My hope is that this blog will be a good way to do this.

I haven't quite decided what will be posted here, but at the moment I'm thinking that this will include the texts for our Bible Study group when we start up again in September, additional thoughts on Sunday worship, and perhaps some resources that I have found helpful. And we'll see how often I get around to updating it. I've never had a blog before so we'll see how this goes.

The blog title comes from the closing reflection of Rev. Norman McMillan in the 1938 history of Norval Presbyterian Church. Reflecting on the congregation's first century McMillan wrote: "Our Fathers laboured and we have entered into their labours. It was their desire to build to the Glory of God a Church that would prove to be a House of Prayer and Sanctuary for the oppressed. This they succeeded in accomplishing. Let us continue to Serve the God of our Fathers and make the extension of the Kingdom of His Son our chief delight and God will continue to bless us, as He has blessed those who have 'entered into rest'."

These words from the past have been helpful to the Session as we have begun the process of discerning God's mission and vision for Norval Presbyterian today. My hope is that our congregation would continue to be both a house of prayer and sanctuary for the oppressed as we seek to live out God's mission for us at this time in our history.


Yours in Christ,
Rev. John Read

No comments:

Post a Comment